Reminiscent of the “Bagel Bites” you may or may not have devoured as a kid, these Zucchini Supreme Bagel Bites are a definite crowd pleaser at a party (or easy/ healthy dinner option) for the kids and kids at heart! Thin slices of zucchini, topped with tomato basil sauce, a blend of cheeses, multicolor sweet peppers, uncured turkey pepperoni, and mixed Mediterranean olives, sprinkled with a variety of seasonings, make these Zucchini Supreme Pizza Bites a new healthy favorite in your life!
Serves 2 People (as a light dinner) and more as an appetizer
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2017
Oven, Preheated to 350°F
1 Sheet Pan
*Disclaimer – I am including certain brand names of things I use (just because they are personal favorites of mine), but feel free to use whatever brand you like, is the cheapest, is on sale, what you have on hand, etc.*
1 Medium Sized Zucchini (Just remember the thickness of your zucchini will reflect how big the pizza bite rounds are)
Garlic Granules or Powder (*or freshly grated garlic if preferred/readily available)
Grated Hard Cheese of Choice (Parmesan, Asiago, etc.)
Tomato or Pizza Sauce of Choice (I used DelGrosso Tomato Basil sauce, which I had on hand)
Shredded Soft Cheese(s) of Choice (I used Whole Foods 365 Pizza Blend Shredded Cheese)
Toppings of Choice (*I used Applegate Uncured Mini Turkey Pepperoni, Multicolored Sweet Peppers, and mixed Mediterranean olives. Some other options could be: sausage, red onion, spinach, mushrooms and artichoke.)
Optional: Dried Thyme, Chili Flakes (for seasoning)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line one standard sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Slice the zucchini in thin slices, and lay slices on parchment paper.
- Drizzle olive oil (lightly) all over the sheet pan and zucchini slices, then gently toss the zucchini in the olive oil and coat both sides of the slices while spreading the olive oil all over the parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the zucchini slices with some salt and pepper, and then bake for five minutes (*this step helps to dry out the zucchini a bit- which has a high water content- so you don’t end up with watery pizza bites).
- After five minutes, remove the pan from the oven (while leaving the oven on), and sprinkle the zucchini slices with garlic granules and lightly top with freshly grated hard cheese of choice (don’t worry about being a bit messy – everything scoops up easily from the pan in the end haha!). Place the pan back in the oven for ten more minutes.
- After ten minutes, remove the pan from the oven (while leaving the oven on), and add a dollop of tomato sauce of choice on top of the zucchini slices, then top with shredded cheese and toppings of choice (I used uncured turkey pepperoni, mixed sweet peppers, and olives). Once again, don’t worry about being messy (it all scoops up nicely and tastes just as great!). Then, place the pan back in the oven for an additional five minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven after five minutes, sprinkle with any extra seasonings of choice (I used dried thyme, chili flakes, and pepper), serve, and enjoy! 🙂