Need an easy lunch or dinner option? Craving Italian cuisine? Wanting something on the healthier side? Look no further – this zoodle bowl is the perfect match! Mild Italian chicken sausage, zucchini noodles, sweet peppers and a creamy marinara sauce (made by adding plain yogurt to a standard marinara sauce!), sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese and two-tone gomasio, make for a nutritious, filling meal any day or time of the week!
Makes 1 Bowl (Can easily be doubled, tripled, etc.)
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Oven, Preheated to 400°F
Small Sauce Pan
Vegetable Spiralizer (I use this one)
*Disclaimer – I am including certain brand names of things I use (just because they are personal favorites of mine), but feel free to use whatever brand you like, is the cheapest, is on sale, what you have on hand, etc.*
1 Zucchini, Spiralized
1 Chicken Sausage, Chopped (I use Brat Hans Mild Italian Chicken Sausage)
3 Sweet Peppers, Chopped
1/4 Cup Marinara Sauce of Choice (I use 365 Everyday Value® Organic Marinara Sauce)
1/8 Cup Plain Yogurt (I used Stonyfield Whole Milk Plain Yogurt)
*Optional for Topping/Extra Seasoning: Basil, Oregano, Garlic Granules, Onion Granules, Pepper, Grated Parmesan Cheese and Two-Tone Gomasio
Noodle Bowl by Jeremy Ogusky, Creator of Ogusky Ceramics (based in Jamaica Plan, MA)
Two-Tone Gomasio by Nancy Partington, Creator of Juneseed Foods (based in NYC)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Spiralize zucchini and spread over parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with salt, and place in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes (*This step helps to dehydrate the zucchini noodles, which tend to get very watery during sautéing. Keep an eye on it, because they can dehydrate and burn fast).
- While the zucchini noodles are dehydrating, add 1/4 cup marinara sauce of choice and chopped sweet peppers in a small sauce pan, and heat until simmering/warm.
- Next, add a small amount of olive oil to the sauté pan, and add chicken sausage slices on low/medium heat to cook and lightly brown.
- After removing zucchini noodles from oven, shift the chicken sausage slices to one half of the sauté pan and lightly reheat/toast the zucchini noodles (feel free to add a little more olive oil during this step).
- Turn the heat off for the marinara/pepper sauce, and add in 1/8 cup plain yogurt, then stir until incorporated/creamy. Feel free to add in some extra spices during this step (I added in some additional dashes of garlic granules, onion granules, basil, oregano, and pepper).
- Place the sauce in a serving bowl, then top with the zucchini noodles, mild chicken sausage slices, and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and two-tone gomasio (if using).
- Mix it all up and enjoy warm! 🙂