What’s more romantic than French cuisine on Valentine’s Day? Probably very few things. And these crepes are just the ticket. I always felt that crepes would be something I would “definitely have to order out” because they looked so complicated to make. But they are, in fact, entirely possible to make at home. And, actually, are not that complicated. If you can make pancakes, you can make these without an issue. I have never had a “chocolate crepe” before, but I decided to create one in the spirit of making this dish as chocolate-filled and decadent as possible. Pair that with more chocolate, fresh strawberry filling, whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, and powdered sugar, and you have something pretty spectacular. Despite this dish looking overly sweet, I guarantee you that it’s not. The crepes are actually more savory, especially since I use whole wheat flour. And the fresh strawberries and hazelnut spread are just the touch needed to make all the flavors come together perfectly. I hope you enjoy this sweet breakfast treat as much as I do! 🙂
Makes Around 16 Crepes (4 Meal Size Servings)
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Dry Measuring Cups
Liquid Measuring Cup
Small Nonstick Sauté Pan (I personally like smaller crepes, but you can also use a larger pan)
*Disclaimer – I am including certain brand names of things I use (just because they are personal favorites of mine), but feel free to use whatever brand you like, is the cheapest, is on sale, what you have on hand, etc.*
2 Large Eggs
1 Cup White Whole Wheat Flour (*Or flour of choice)
1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
1 Cup Reduced Fat Milk (*Or milk of choice)
1/4 Cup Water
1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar
1 Teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
1/4 Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
1 Pound Fresh Strawberries
Butter (*For coating pan)
Whipped Cream (For Topping)
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (I used Nocciolata Diary-Free Organic Hazelnut & Cocoa Spread) (For Filling)
3 Tablespoons Chocolate Chips*
1/2 Teaspoon Vegetable Oil*
*Or use chocolate syrup
Infinity Plate by Jeremy Ogusky, Creator of Ogusky Ceramics (based in Jamaica Plan, MA)
Breakfast Board by Dennis Melnyk
- Combine eggs, flour, cocoa powder, milk, water, agave nectar, almond extract, and salt in blender. Mix until well-blended. Set aside.
- While crepe mixture is resting, cut strawberries into small pieces.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat sauté pan to medium, and lightly butter (I normally put a small square on the end of a fork and lightly coat the pan between each crepe or every two crepes as needed).
- Pour crepe batter into a liquid measuring cup (this makes pouring easier).
- Pour batter in center of the pan creating a small “pancake”, then tilt/swirl the pan to spread batter out thin to get the crepe consistency.
- Crepes cook fast, so watch for edges and top to cook most of the way (still might be a little uncooked in the center), then gently flip crepe using a spatula and your hands. Cook for a few more seconds, then slide crepe onto parchment lined pan to cool.
- Repeat until batter is used and all crepes are made.
- Next, take crepes and spread layer of hazelnut spread down the center and fill with a line of strawberries. Fold one crepe end over top and spread with a little hazelnut spread and then press other end over (helps “seal” the crepe).
- Add whipped cream on top, then add either chocolate syrup or mix chocolate chips with vegetable oil in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments (mixing in between as well) until melted. Drizzle over top.
- Enjoy! 🙂
*Save individual components in fridge then reheat/make to eat later.*