This recipe is throwing it back to college and my love of Crunchwrap Supremes from Taco Bell! I had never had a Crunchwrap Supreme before college until a friend introduced me and I loved it. That being said, I haven’t eaten at Taco Bell in a SUPER long time. I do eat a lot differently than I used to and focus more now on where my food is from and what ingredients are in it. However, that doesn’t mean that eating healthier or making better choices translates to completely sacrificing certain things you love! There is more than likely ALWAYS a healthier way to recreate what you want to eat that may not exactly fall into the “good for you” spectrum. And, in all honesty, I like this healthier version A LOT more and feel even better knowing all of the ingredients I’m eating and where they are from. This recipe is actually really easy, simple and quick to make too, which is great. I put it together in under 20 minutes for a quick lunch and it actually turned out to be a lot more filling than I expected. It’s also only 10 ingredients (another win)! I have a feeling this will be a new lunch staple on my menu because it was absolutely delicious and was exactly what I was craving haha! Hope you enjoy – happy cooking! 🙂
Makes Around 4-6 Crunchwraps (*Depending how full they are. You can also make 1 at a time and save leftovers)
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Soup Pan or Microwave Safe Bowl
1 Pack Large Tortilla Shells
1 Pack Tostadas
1 Can Refried Beans
2 Cups Rice/Grain/Bean Mixture of Choice (I used a precooked Barley/Lentil Mix that could be reheated on the stovetop or in the microwave – definitely helps save some time)
Cheese of Choice (I used shredded cheddar, but you could use a queso or whatever you prefer!)*
Lettuce or Greens of Choice*
Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream*
1 Teaspoon Olive Oil (For Pan)
*I didn’t measure these, but you can use as much/as little as you prefer (also depends on the size of your tortillas)
- First, mix the refried beans with your grain mixture of choice and heat (either on the microwave or on the stovetop). *This is if the grains are precooked – if not, cook grains beforehand and then mix and reheat everything.
- Next, take a tortilla and place around 1/3 to 1/2 Cup of the bean/grain mixture in the center of the tortilla.
- Top with cheese (*microwave this for a bit to get the cheese a bit melty if desired).
- Then, add a tostada on top of that (*you may have to break off edges of the tostada a bit so it fits nicely), then a layer of lettuce or mixed greens.
- Next, spread a dollop of Greek Yogurt or sour cream on top of that and add tomato pieces.
- After that, fold the crunchwrap by taking the left and right side of the tortilla and wrapping them toward the center, then folding in each respective corner. Flip the crunchwrap and sit aside until ready to toast.
- Next, heat olive oil (*remember to only use one teaspoon so you don’t soak your tortilla and gently tilt the pan back and forth to spread out) in sauté pan (on medium/high heat) and place crunchwrap in pan (with the folds on the bottom) and sit heavy bowl(s) on top.
- Toast for a minute or so until browned, then flip and repeat process for top.
- After browning, repeat for all crunchwraps (*add more oil if needed). Then, either eat crunchwraps whole or cut in half.
- Enjoy! 🙂