Happy Sunday! Today was a really nice day (despite the fact it was still FREEZING outside!). My family made a big taco lunch for everyone (there was six of us), so I decided to contribute a dessert to the mix. I wanted to make something to tie in with the tacos and, after some research, I saw a number of recipes for sopapilla cheesecake bars! They sounded interesting and also looked really good, so I made a few adjustments and pulled some ideas from a handful of my favorite recipes I came across. I am SUPER pleased with how the recipe turned out – they are a deliciously sweet dessert, with a crispy puffed pastry and almost crème brulee type center. The almonds and sugar topping add a little something extra and made the perfect touch to the entire thing. So, if you are a cheesecake and pastry lover, I would definitely recommend giving this recipe a go for your next dinner or party! I hope you enjoy them as much as we did! 🙂
Makes a 9″ x 13″ Tray
*Bars need to set for a few hours after baking*
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Oven, Preheated to 350°F
9″ X 13″ Baking Dish
Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
Large Mixing Bowl
Liquid Measuring Cup
Dry Measuring Cups
Unsalted Butter (*For lightly coating the baking dish)
Flour (*For coating work surface)
14 Ounces Puff Pastry of Choice, Thawed (I used Dufour Puffed Pastry)
3 (8 Ounce) Packages of Cream Cheese, Softened
3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Cup Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
4 Large Eggs
1/4 Cup Pastry Flour (*Or Flour of Choice)
1 and 1/4 Cups Sugar
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon Almond Extract
1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter, Melted
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
3/4 Cup to 1 Cup Sliced Almonds
Optional for Topping: Honey
- First, preheat the oven to 350°F
- After that, lightly butter the baking dish (set aside).
- Next, lightly flour work surface and gently unfold puff pastry.
- Slice into two even sized pieces and use hands to press in any tears.
- Use a rolling pin to shape pieces to the size of the baking dish.
- Place one pastry piece in the base of the baking dish and use hands to spread/press into place. Set aside. (*At this point, you may want to sit the other piece of pastry dough on parchment paper back in the fridge or it might stick to the work surface by the time you need it.)
- After that, mix cream cheese and 1 cup of the sugar (until fluffy).
- Next, add in heavy cream, sour cream (*or Greek yogurt), vanilla extract, almond extract and flour. Mix until well-combined.
- Next, mix in one egg at a time until well-combined.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture on top of the puffed pastry base and then gently top with the other puffed pastry piece, using hands to gently spread.
- After this, brush the top pastry piece with melted butter.
- Mix the remaining 1/4 cup sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon and sprinkle evenly on top of the pastry piece.
- Spread sliced almonds all over top and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Bake (uncovered) in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Next, let the cheesecake set a room temperature for a few hours before slicing (*if you prefer your cheesecake cold, chill for a few more hours after that).
- Top with honey if preferred.
- Slice and enjoy! 🙂
*Stores in the refrigerator.*
One Comment Add yours