You can never go wrong with having a loaf of banana bread in your house. Never. It is that perfect touch of something sweet for breakfast, as a snack or dessert. Plus, it is super simple to make! And incredibly convenient when you need to use some ripe bananas. This version was a bit of an experiment for me – I wanted a more unique version of the traditional, everyday banana bread that incorporated a mix of fun flavors and textures. I made a zucchini bread last summer (which I am hoping to make again once zucchini is in season) that I added dark chocolate too and it came out amazing! So, I decided that adding dark chocolate to this recipe was an absolute necessity. Additionally, I added in a touch of basil (there was a debate among those who tried it whether or not they could actually taste the basil) – so, just note that it is nothing overpowering but you do get a hint of it (in my opinion) and it’s a nice taste. Overall, it’s a really delicious treat and worth the try if you love the flavor of traditional banana breads, dark chocolate and basil. Hope you enjoy and happy baking! 🙂
Makes 1 Loaf (8 inches by 4 inches)
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Oven, Preheated to 325°F
8 Inch by 4 Inch Loaf Pan
Large Mixing Bowl
Dry Measuring Cups
Liquid Measuring Cup
Coconut Oil (*For Greasing Loaf Pan ~ Could Use Unsalted Butter as Well)
3 Bananas (2 Mashed; 1 Sliced Vertically for Topping)
1/2 Cup Coconut Palm Sugar (*Or Light Brown Sugar)
1 Large Egg
1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, Melted (*Allow to Cool Slightly)
1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
Few Pinches of Salt
1/4 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves (Packed)
1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup Walnuts, Chopped
For Topping: Extra Basil Leaves, Extra Coconut Palm Sugar (*Or Brown Sugar), Powdered Sugar
Wooden Board by Brian Christopher, Creator of Bicyclette (based in Philadelphia, PA)
- First, preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Grease loaf pan with coconut oil (*or butter).
- In large mixing bowl, combine 2 mashed bananas, coconut palm sugar, egg, melted unsalted butter and pure vanilla extract. Mix until well-combined.
- Next, add in flour, baking powder, salt, basil leaves (torn into pieces), dark chocolate chips and chopped walnut pieces. Mix until everything is just combined.
- Pour batter into greased pan and top with two large pieces of sliced banana and (if desired) a few whole basil leaves and extra coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar).
- Bake for 45 minutes to 55 minutes until toothpick comes out clean/bread is firm.
- Let rest for 10 minutes and top with powdered sugar if desired.
- Enjoy! 🙂
*Can store at room temperature if eating within a few days. Otherwise, refrigerate.*