This meal was so popular, I made it not only once but twice this week (and, if we had more ricotta cheese on hand, I probably would have made it again for lunches haha!). I love all of the different squash that summer brings – this recipe uses both delicious organic yellow squash and zucchini from Taproot Farm. I used two types (mainly for some color variance haha), but feel free to use which ones you have on hand! 🙂 Although I LOVE a good pasta dish, I have found in the past few years that I love subbing zucchini noodles for dishes that would traditionally use pasta. Never a bad way to get some extra vegetables in and also opt for a lighter meal! 🙂 The filling of this recipe uses two types of cheese (always a good idea), fresh basil, and organic kale from Taproot Farm. What else? On the side, delicious organic broccoli from Taproot Farm. It’s an all-around vegetable win! 🙂 I’m already dreaming of eating these delicious rollatinis again ~ enjoy and happy cooking! 🙂
Makes Around 1 Large Tray (Serves 3-4 People)
Post by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Oven, Preheated to 400°F
Mandoline (I HIGHLY suggest using a mandoline for this to get the slices really thin ~ I have this one and it works great!)
9′ by 13′ Baking Dish
Dry Measuring Cups
Large Sauté Pan with Lid
Tomato Sauce of Choice (I used a tomato basil sauce we had on hand)
1 to 2 Summer Squash of Choice (I used one yellow squash and one zucchini), Cut lengthwise using a mandoline (*I would cut one first and then see how much filling you have left before cutting another)
1 Cup Whole Milk Ricotta
1 Large Egg
1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese of Choice (I used Asiago)
1/2 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves, Torn into Pieces
1/2 Cup Kale, Torn into Pieces
For Topping: Extra Shredded Cheese, Panko Bread Crumbs, Salt and Pepper
1 Head Broccoli, Florets Cut Off
*I have doubled this recipe before and it works out just as nicely in case you want to make a larger tray!*
Square Platter by Jeremy Ogusky, Creater of Ogusky Ceramics (based in Jamaica Plan, MA)
- First, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Next, spread a layer of tomato sauce of choice on the base of the pan.
- After that, slice zucchini thinly (I highly recommend slicing the zucchini in half lengthwise and then using a mandoline to cut into thin slices). Set aside.
- Then, mix together ricotta, egg, shredded cheese, torn basil leaves and torn kale.
- Next, pat zucchini slice with a paper towel (this helps to remove some moisture) and use a knife to spread a thin layer of cheese/basil/kale mixture on slice. Roll zucchini and place seam-side down in sauce. Repeat until zucchini and cheese are used.
- After that, drizzle dish with a little bit of olive oil. Sprinkle extra preferred amount of cheese on top and sprinkle with bread crumbs if preferred.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- While rollatini is baking, add a layer of chicken stock to the large sauté pan and toss in broccoli florets. Cover with lid and cook on low heat until broccoli tenderizes (check with fork) and then place lid aside and allow stock to cook off.
- Allow rollatini to sit for 10 minutes after cooking.
- Then, top with black pepper (and salt if preferred, but I have found the cheese is salty enough) and serve with cooked broccoli.
- Enjoy! 🙂
***Store leftovers in refrigerator and can be easily reheated in either the microwave or oven.***