Happy Sunday! 🙂 I always know that the summer season is moving along when I start seeing fresh tomatoes popping up! There is something about a fresh summer tomato that can never compare to the ones found in supermarkets (in my opinion, those are not tomatoes haha!). I was thrilled to find two types of organic tomatoes in my Taproot Farm CSA share this week – red tomatoes and cherry sungold tomatoes! YUM! I love the color variety in these tomatoes and they make for a really beautiful tart – perfect to serve with dinner or as an appetizer. I make this tart using a premade pie crust, which makes everything come together super quickly. The flavors of the fresh tomatoes and cheeses with a sprinkle of basil from our garden are a delicious blend of everything summer! I hope you enjoy this tart as much as we have – happy baking! 🙂
Makes 6 Servings
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Oven, Preheated to 400°F
Dry Measuring Cups
1 Large Tomato, Sliced Thinly
1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, Sliced in Half
Flour (*For Dusting)
1 Premade Pie Crust
1/3 to 1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce
1 Cup Soft Cheese (I used fromagina, but ricotta is also a great option!)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- First, slice large tomato into thin slices and cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Dust work surface with flour. Flip pie crust in flour.
- Drizzle sheet pan with olive oil.
- Move pie crust to sheet pan.
- Spread tomato sauce in the center of the pie crust, leaving about 2 inches to 3 inches of the crust on the outside uncovered.
- Next, add on top the soft cheese and spread around. Place tomatoes on top.
- Fold up edges (gently folding and pressing the pieces on top of each other to create tart).
- Brush edges with remaining olive oil from pan.
- Bake tart for 20 minutes.
- After tart is baked, sprinkle with parmesan, salt, pepper and fresh basil.
- Cool for five minutes, then slice and serve. Enjoy! 🙂