Pieces of Green Tomato Breaded in Flour and Crispy Onion Pieces, Served with Mixed Greens, Microgreens, Greek Yogurt Dressing and Black Pepper
I remember I had green tomatoes for the first time last year on a vacation down in North Carolina. They were SO delicious and tasty! They were served deep fried with a creamy dressing, cheese and sprinkle of herbs. The inspiration for this salad definitely came from that meal. I changed up a few things, including the fact that my green tomatoes were cut up into smaller bite-sized pieces (eliminating the need to cut away at them before eating) and that they aren’t deep-fried. Additionally, I opted for more of a salad base. I definitely made sure to incorporate a creamy dressing, because having both the tomato flavors and creaminess is an out-of-this-world combination (in my opinion at least)! I would like to thank Taproot Farm for the delicious green tomatoes which inspired this delicious and seasonal dish! Enjoy and happy cooking! 🙂
Serves 2 People for a Light Meal or Multiple as an Appetizer
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Oven, Preheated to 350°F
Large Ziploc Bag
Dry Measuring Cups
Small Mixing Bowl
1 Sheet Pan
4 Green Tomatoes, Diced
1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
2 Large Eggs, Whisked
1/2 Cup Crispy Onion Pieces – Salted (I used an organic one from my local Whole Foods)
For Serving: Dressing of Choice (I used Greek Yogurt Dressing), Mixed Greens, Microgreens and Extra Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Dice green tomatoes (discard any watery parts that fall out during dicing).
- Place diced green tomato pieces in Ziploc bag and add flour.
- Toss back and forth gently until the pieces are coated.
- Next, pour pre-whisked eggs into the Ziploc bag and toss back and forth gently.
- Finally, add in the crispy onion pieces, tossing back and forth gently to combine.
- Next, pour everything onto your lined sheet pan. Using a fork or your hands, gently break this apart into small sections (I made mine bite-sized clusters). This will look messy, but I promise it will turn out great!
- Drizzle everything with olive oil and gently toss sections.
- Sprinkle everything with black pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove and flip pieces, and bake for another 15 minutes (for 30 minutes total).
- Allow to cool for a few minutes after baking.
- Assemble salad on plate (I used mixed greens and microgreens), arrange tomato pieces on top, drizzle with dressing of choice and season with black pepper.
- Enjoy! 🙂
*Store leftovers in the refrigerator.*
One Comment Add yours