Thick Slice of Locally Made Raisin and Walnut Bread Dipped in an Egg & Milk Mixture, Pan Fried in Butter and Topped with a Salted Caramel Cream Cheese/Vanilla Yogurt Mix, Garnished with Fresh Apple Slices, Pumpkin Spice Granola, Salted Caramel Sauce and Maple Syrup
There is nothing quite as cozy and comforting as a delicious slice of French Toast on an Autumn day! Since Summer is phasing out and Fall is moving its way in, I decided to play off of a seasonal favorite flavor combination: caramel apple! Caramel apples were always an orchard favorite of mine growing up. I especially loved versions covered in something crunchy like nuts or granola bits. This French Toast gives you all of those nostalgic flavors (minus nearly ripping your teeth out trying to eat it haha!). I like how this French Toast combines a number of textures as well. The bread is soft and dough like after pan frying, topped with a creamy layer composed of incredible salted caramel cream cheese from Melanie’s Medleys mixed with thick vanilla yogurt, garnished with fresh crunchy apple slices, pumpkin spice granola, pecan pieces, caramel sauce and maple syrup. It’s delectably tasty in so many ways and definitely a new favorite in my book ~ I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I have! Happy cooking and eating! 🙂
Makes 1 Serving (*Can Easily be Multiplied)
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Sauté Pan with Lid
Liquid Measuring Cup
1 Thick Slice (~1 Inch) Bread of Choice, Preferably a Bit Dry/Stale (I used a Raisin Walnut Bread From my Local Farmer’s Market)
1 Large Egg
1/4 Cup Whole Milk
1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
1 Tablespoon Salted Caramel Cream Cheese (Mine is from Melanie’s Medleys ~ you can get $15 off with the code “ALYSHA15”)
1 Tablespoon Thick Vanilla Yogurt of Choice (I used Siggi’s Vanilla Skyr)
1/2 Small Apple, Sliced Thinly
For Topping: Maple Syrup, Pumpkin Spice Granola (I got mine from Michele’s Granola), Pecan Pieces, and Salted Caramel Sauce
- First, mix the egg, milk and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Pour this mixture into a shallow dish and dip bread. Press gently and flip bread to the other side and repeat until bread absorbs most of the mixture.
- Allow bread to sit and melt butter in sauté pan on low/medium heat.
- Once butter is melted and spread on sauté pan, place dipped bread on the pan.
- Pour the little amount of remaining egg mixture on top of the bread and allow to soak in.
- Cover the pan with the lid and allow bread to brown on the bottom (a few minutes).
- After this, flip your bread and allow to brown on the other side (cover with lid again). The lid helps the egg to set in the bread.
- After bread is browned on each side, remove the pan from the heat (leave covered) and set aside until toppings are ready.
- Mix salted caramel cream cheese with yogurt until combined and cut your apple.
- Next, remove the French Toast from the pan and top with cream cheese/yogurt mixture.
- Place apple slices on top, sprinkle with granola and pecans, and drizzle with salted caramel sauce and maple syrup.
- Enjoy! 🙂
One Comment Add yours