A hearty winter soup with a spicy bite to it!
I love a warm, filling soup as the months get chillier. Especially ones that are creamy and bisque like in consistency. I had a lot of delicious Taproot Farm organic carrots and hakurei turnips stored in my refrigerator, so I was inspired to create this delicious vegetable soup dish! The fresh ginger adds a pop of flavor and really compliments the spiciness of the hakurei turnips as well. The heavy cream gives the soup a nice, golden color that reminds me of warm sunshine (I’ll take anything I can get on these colder/darker days haha!). However, if you are vegan or just trying to cut out dairy, the soup is just as delicious without the cream (a bit earthier in flavor and not as bisque like, but just as good!). This soup is super easy to make and very flavorful. It’s definitely a new staple in our home for these upcoming winter months. I hope you all enjoy this soup as much as we have – happy cooking!
Makes 4-6 Servings
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2019
Dry Measuring Cups
Liquid Measuring Cup
3 Cups Carrots, Peeled and Diced
2 Cups Hakurei Turnips, Peeled and Diced
1/8 to 1/4 Cup Fresh Ginger, Peeled and Diced (I used 1/4 cup because I like a strong ginger flavor, but cutting back won’t make it as pronounced)
2 and 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock (*or stock of choice)
1 Cup Heavy Cream (*and little extra for topping) (*just a reminder you don’t need to add the cream if you’re looking for an earthier flavor)
- Combine your diced carrots, turnips, ginger and stock in you large soup pot/pan.
- Cook on medium/medium high heat for 15 to 20 minutes until vegetables are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Turn off the heat and carefully transfer your vegetable/stock mixture to your blender (you can use a ladle to do this or gently pour everything in).
- If desired, pour a cup of heavy cream on top of everything once it’s in the blender.
- Use the blender to puree the mixture, and pour everything back in your pan.
- Turn the heat on medium if needed to reheat the soup slightly.
- Drizzle the top with heavy cream, sprinkle with black pepper and add microgreens if desired.
- Enjoy warm!
- Leftovers store great in the refrigerator and can easily be reheated.
2 Comments Add yours
Looks delicious! I love turnips!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much, Bernice! I do too! ☺️
LikeLiked by 1 person