Pie for dinner is always a good idea (trust me!).
Sometimes, you just need pie for dinner! And I feel like savory pies don’t get as much attention as the typical dessert pies. But, I assure you they are just as delicious (if not more so!). Another great part of this pie is you have the freedom to mix-up the filling based on what vegetables and ingredients you have on had. I used Taproot Farm organic kale, carrots and garlic I had on hand. The added lentils made for a really nice savory filling base, and I’d love to add some chickpeas and onions as well next time. I used a premade whole wheat pie crust to make this recipe super duper easy, but feel free to use your own pie crust recipe or preferred prepared pie crust as well! Also, this pie is great for breakfast paired with a sunny side-up egg (in case you’re already planning for leftovers). I hope you all enjoy this fun and easy recipe – happy pie eating!
Makes 1 Pie
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2019
Oven, preheated to 400°F
1/2 Cup Dry Lentils
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Water/Chicken Stock/Vegetable Stock
3 Heaping Cups Kale Pieces
1 Cup Carrot Slices
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Cup Feta or Goat Cheese
- First, make sure your pie crust is ready (thawed if frozen or made from scratch).
- Then, cook your dry lentils. I combined my 1/2 cup lentils with 2 cups of water and simmered for around 15 to 20 minutes until lentils were soft. I then strained the lentils and set them aside.
- Next, combine 1/3 cup water (or stock of choice for added flavor) with your carrot pieces. Cook until carrot pieces are soft (add more stock/water if needed).
- Once carrots are soft and liquid has cooked off, add olive oil and garlic, cooking until carrots and garlic are lightly browned.
- Then, mix in lentils and kale pieces. Add 1/4 cup water (or stock) and cook until kale wilts and liquid cooks off.
- Next, preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Add your cheese to the carrot/garlic/lentil/kale mixture and stir through.
- Fill your pie crust with the mixture.
- Cook the pie for around 15 to 18 minutes until warmed through.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, and top with extra cheese, black pepper and parsley if desired. Pie slices will be “messy”, but delicious!
- Enjoy! 🙂 Leftovers refrigerate well and are easy to reheat as needed.