With chilly December weather and a coating of snow on the ground in, it is definitely prime soup season. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, I enjoyed creamy mushroom soup at a few different local restaurants on occasion. Missing this soup, I was inspired to create my own recipe at home to enjoy. I love that this recipe is super simple and only a handful of ingredients. I used portabella mushroom, but feel free to use any favorite mushroom you may have on hand to test. You also don’t need any sort of fancy food processor/blending equipment – my standard smoothie blender worked just fine for this. Enjoy and stay warm!
- 6 Cups Chopped Mushrooms (I used portabellas – caps and stems)
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth (*or broth of choice)
- 6 Cloves Garlic, Peeled
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Salt (*If you want to get extra fancy, I highly recommend black truffle salt paired with this)
- Optional for Topping/Serving: Olive Oil (*could also use truffle oil), Salt, Pepper, Red Chili Flakes, Herbs (I used arugula for a quick garnish) Directions
- In a large sauté pan, combine your mushroom pieces, garlic cloves, and chicken broth. On medium heat, cook the mushrooms and garlic cloves for about 15 to 20 minutes under mushrooms are tender.
- Once cooked, carefully transfer the mushrooms/garlic/broth mix to a blender. Blend until smooth, add in heavy cream and salt, and reblend.
- Transfer the mixture to a soup pan and keep on low heat until serving.
- Top with seasonings, oils, and garnishes of choice.