I like the idea that a “salad” doesn’t necessarily mean your base has to consist of leafy greens. In fact, I have seen menus at a lot of restaurants in recent years include salads made from other things like different vegetables and fruits. This salad inspiration stemmed from that idea. Taproot Farm has included incredibly tasty green beans in their CSA shares and I challenged myself to make something different than the typical green beans I am used to (aka just plain steamed green beans served on the side or green bean casseroles). This dish really bases itself on the green beans and every other flavor is incorporated as a compliment. I like the combination of cooked and fresh components. The green beans still have a bit of crunch to them which is fabulous. And, if you have never tried fried halloumi cheese before, you are in for a treat! 🙂 I picked a block of halloumi up at a local market, and when you fry it in olive oil it’s like automatically adding something that tastes like mozzarella sticks to your meal haha! Absolutely delicious. The cherry tomatoes and balsamic glaze as some sweet components, and the fresh dill (also from Taproot Farm) adds a pop of flavor to tie it all together! I hope you enjoy this unique salad as much as I do!
Makes 2 Light Dinner Servings
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Large Sauté Pan
Frying Screen (*To prevent spraying)
1 Log of Halloumi Cheese (Mine was around 3/4 pound)
1 Quart Green Beans, Trimmed
1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- First, cut halloumi cheese into thin slices. Set aside.
- Next, trim green beans. Set aside.
- After that, coat base of large sauté pan in a thin layer of olive oil and heat oil on low/medium heat.
- Once oil is heated, add in halloumi slices and brown on each side. Once halloumi is fried, place on plate with napkin to drain excess oil. Repeat until all halloumi is crispy on each side.
- Next (using the same pan), add more oil if needed and toss in trimmed green beans. Toss occasionally and allow to “blister” (develop browned spots) all over on low/medium heat for around 8 to 10 minutes.
- While green beans are cooking, slice cherry tomatoes.
- To serve, place down a base layer of warm green beans and place halloumi cheese on top, pair with cherry tomato halves and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Sprinkle fresh dill all over.
- Enjoy! 🙂