When you want a breakfast burrito (but also want tomatoes, basil, mozzarella and prosciutto!) this Italian Style Breakfast Wrap is the way to go!
I love making anything with eggs on the weekends – especially different styles of breakfast sandwiches! I had a delicious chorizo breakfast burrito a few weeks back at one of my favorite local restaurants called The Farmhouse Kitchen. In following weeks, I found myself craving breakfast wraps and had the inspiration to create my own version at home. I love the delicious organic basil and tomatoes popping up in the Taproot Farm CSA boxes, so I was inspired to create an Italian Style Breakfast Wrap! This recipe is quick, easy and flavorful, and pairs perfectly with balsamic reduction to dip in on the side. I hope you all enjoy this recipe – happy cooking!
Makes 1 Serving (*Can Easily be Multiplied)
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2019
1 Large Wrap of Choice
1 Large Egg
1/4 Cup Diced Tomato
1/4 Cup Torn Basil
1/3 Cup Sliced Mozzarella
2 Pieces Prosciutto
Extra Basil for Topping if Desired
- First, warm your large wrap (if desired). I heated mine in the microwave with a moist towel on top. This helped the wrap from cracking/tearing when I wrapped everything up.
- Next, drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil onto your sauté pan and heat the pan on a medium setting. Crack an egg in the pan and use your spatula to lightly break the yolk and scramble everything. Then, add in your tomato and basil pieces, then cover the pan with a lid if possible to help set/cook the egg.
- While your egg is cooking, place slices of prosciutto and mozzarella vertically in the center of your wrap.
- Once your eggs and vegetables are cooked, arrange those vertically as well in your wrap. I added some extra basil leaves on top for added crunch and flavor and sprinkled everything with black pepper.
- To roll everything like a burrito, I followed the instructions on this video: How to Roll a Burrito.
- Once rolled, I cut the wrap in half and added some balsamic reduction on the side for dipping.
- Enjoy! 🙂